This guide is going to provide an insightful source of recommendations to help you get the best propane smokers in the market.
Even more, you will get a comprehensive understanding of both pros and cons of a propane smoker as well as how to select propane smoker. Hopefully, it can help you make your wise purchase decision accordingly from our list.
Best Propane Gas Smoker Reviews
1. Smoke Hollow 38205GW 38-Inch Propane Gas Smoker
The Smoke Hollow 38205GW, the start point of our reviews has its reasons. It is recommended as the best propane smoker in the market with special features including a black color, rectangular shaped and attractive style. From the legs where it stands, it can stand up to 4 feet high.
The most notable feature of the propane smokers is a clear window and double doors which help the monitoring super easy and convenient. Furthermore, these features also let the wood chip tray and water pan be tended to prevent the meat smoked exposing to the outside air.
Another outstanding feature of this propane smoker is the racks within the cooking chamber made of steels with chrome plating. These racks can be easily removed and adjusted when necessary to offer various options for your smoke preferences.
- Great and convenient pushing-button ignition.
- Authentic and savory taste is ensured thanks to the double doors which allow the water and wood chips to be tended.
- Easy ongoing monitoring with an excellent touch due to the window system.
- Some customers reported that they received the faulty or marred units.
2. Smoke Hollow 38202G 38-Inch 2-Door Propane Gas Smoker
This propane smoker is another product of Smoke Hollow Brand. This Smoke Hollow 38202G is a two-door smoker type. Obviously different from the Smoke Hollow 38205GW, this smoker is not integrated with a window. This means that the progress of the being-smoked items inside can’t be observed unless the top door is opened.
However, its positive side is the double doors, which allow the wood chip tray and water pan to be monitored and resupplied conveniently without the need to expose the smoking food outside to environmental factors such as rain, wind, or even bright sunlight. It is very helpful for the smoking process not to be adversely affected by these conditions.
Furthermore, this smoker has a plenty of available control and power for your choice. Regarding the power, it can send up to 20,000 BTU’s through the brass burner. With the external thermometer located on the upper door, this smoker can be monitored easily. Also thanks to the four different cooking racks, the smoking options can be of your preferences.
- Long lifetime thanks to the welded steel material for construction.
- The smoking process is controlled properly due to two vents.
- Different food preparation options and choices thanks to the removable smoking racks.
- No windows, it makes difficult in checking the smoking process.
3. Masterbuilt 20050116 Portable Gas Smoker
This gas smoker is the most attractive model regarding the size of the Masterbuilt brand. Thanks to the convenient dimensions of about 24 x 16 x 24 inches and its light weighting less than 23 pounds, it is very portable and removable that you can take it anywhere at home. Furthermore, the foldable legs can help this smoker easily move from one place to another, which results in less storage space required.
With the big size of the cooking chamber, this smoker can even accommodate a whole turkey to be cooked. It can provide stable and consistent heat up to 5000 BTU’s thanks to the stainless steel burners and the cylindrical thermometer door knob.
The containers of the wood chips and water are very convenient to be removed for the cleaning. The wood chips are the part to produce the smoke and flavors of the food, so it requires being cleaned quite frequently to keep the authentic flavors.
When purchasing this smoker type, you can consider buying the adapter for a bigger tank to achieve plentiful heating power for your different smoking needs.
- Highly portable and removable
- The coolness and convenience of being able to take this smoker anywhere simply can’t be overstated
- Unlimited size of items to be smoked thanks to the big smoking chamber.
- Convenient versatility thanks to the use of a propane cylinder
- Quite take the time to cook fully when you use a cylinder instead of a backup tank cylinder
4. Smoke Hollow 30164G 30-Inch Propane Gas Smoker
This smoker is said to be the best barbecue smoker, a real barbecue expert. The Smoke Hollows 30164G is a high-quality smoker and listed in the top of excellent smoker list thanks to a temperature gauge system as well as the system of the push button ignition.
The Smoke Hollow 30164G is very suitable for a family size of 2 to 4 members who enjoys slow and low cooking right at the site on a smoker. Through the adjustable burner made of stainless steel and the visible temperature indicator, you can select the right heat for your favorable smoke cooking.
This propane smoker is a cabinet style made of fully-welded and high-grade steel material so it can achieve reliability and durability. With the cool-touch door handle, it is also very safe for you to open and close the door without burning your hands. This smoker can offer reliable performance thanks to the water pan coated with durable porcelain and wood chip pan with high heat painted steel.
- Perfect choice for beginner’s smoker
- Highly durable
- Easy to use and assemble
- Some complaints about the packing
5. Char-Broil Vertical Gas Smoker
Char-Broil Vertical Gas Smoker is an ideal choice for fans of smoky BBQ. Thanks to the removable pans and the adjustable dampers, this smoker is very easy and simple to use and assemble.
It also comes up with different features so you can have different options for any occasions or needs. This smoker is designed with double doors and various racks, so it is very suitable for quite many different kinds of food.
However, the annoying thing of this smoker comes from the smoking try and integrated water, which makes it be accessed more if there is a long cooking process. Furthermore, this smoker does not have the insulation so the door can release the heat and smoke sometimes.
- Affordable price tag
- Provide high temperature
- Quite durable
- Steady and consistent at low temperature
- Simple operation
- Need to pay attention to the thermometer setup
- Limited space for cooking inside
- The gap between the water pan and the wood is too close for the water to spill on the wood chips
- Smoke leak from the door
6. Camp Chef Smoker 18-Inch Smoke Vault Large
In addition to giant companies that are dominating the industry of smoker in particular and kitchen appliances in general, you are free to choose from some smaller manufacturers. And their products are worth trying not only because of their reasonable price but also because of their quality.
This smoker from Camp Chef gives you two smoking racks that can be adjusted. It is so convenient for you to handle when cooking. It also has 3 damper valves which can be adjusted. They are distributed on each side and top.
The door thermometer can show you the temperature inside, and you can be relieved that it is simple to understand this thermometer. It can illustrate between 50 and 550 degrees. As a result, you now can control the cooking temperatures more efficiently than ever.
More amazingly, the smoker comes with a variety of recipes and cooking tips. They are a great addition to those who want to enjoy their time in the kitchen to the fullest extent.
The propane smoker is equipped with protected burner drum, which enables you to get the best control over the heat.
And finally, you do not have to worry about cleaning this smoker. With its removable base tray, it takes less time to make it clean.
- Door thermometer to help you figure out how hot it is inside the smoker
- Adjustable smoking racks and base tray
- Much simpler clean up with this smoker
- Give you some extra tips and recipes to improve your cooking skill
- Some users reported dreadful customer service
- Poor packing in some cases
- Not really durable
7. Smoke Hollow 44241GW 44-Inch 2-Door Propane Gas Smoker with Window
Let’s get through another product, which is also the final one, from the famous brand Smoke Hollow. The price is higher than that of other brands, however, you will be satisfied with all of its amazing features.
One of the most outstanding features that you can see immediately is its expanded cooking capacity. This version can hold up to 6.5 cubic feet. It allows you to deal with various foods, even the largest ones. So, it is a good option for those who regularly hold events or parties.
The number of cooking grids is up to 7. You will have 4 standard grids, 2 jerky grids, 1 for sausage hanger and 1 for rib rack. In other words, the versatility of this product is improved so much.
The design of dual door accompanies with a viewing window that helps you see everything inside even when the smoker is working. You now have better control over the cooking process, as a result.
When it comes to temperature control and cooking performance, there is no need to worry because the operation of stainless steel burners is independent.
On the other hand, if you wish to bring the smoker anywhere, it is much easier with handles distributed on the side. Clean-up is not a problem with this product either.
- Great cooking capacity that gives you favorable conditions for big parties
- 7 different cooking grids for versatile cooking styles
- Amazing performance with independently working burners
- Dual door design that shows you everything inside the smoker
- Save time for clean-up
- Some people experience the leakage of smoke which makes them suffer
- Not staying lit is another kind of problem
8. Dyna-Glo DGW1235BDP-D 36″ Wide Body LP Gas Smoker
There are some different sizes for this smoker, which allows you to choose from Standard to Extra Large. So, its range of customers is definitely much wider. Whether you need it for just a meal or a large party, it is a good option as well.
Some people might wonder how much cooking space this product provides. The answer will shock you as you will get up to 1.235 square inches in total. So, you have a lot of space to cook giant meals.
If you are considering the number of cooking grates, you should know that you will get 4 adjustable ones with this product. Therefore, you can change their position, depending on what you are going to cook.
It is possible to use up to 20,000 BTU’s in total, and you will have nothing to worry about its dual cast iron burners.
One thing that we love about this product is its premium cover. It has wonderful impacts on the durability of your product. Your smoker will be protected and covered to the fullest extent.
Its door seals play an essential role in keeping the heat and reducing the loss of smoke when you cook food. In other words, cooking efficiency is maximized.
You can easily see the “smoke zone” on its temperature gauge to know how hot it is inside the smoker. This aims to improve your control over the heat.
- 4 adjustable grids that give you more opportunities to deal with various types of recipes
- Generous cooking space
- Premium cover that improves the durability of the product greatly
- Different sizes to meet the need of more customers
- The customer service did not get many positive comments
- Some users experienced the shortage of some parts
The Buying Guide
If cooking incredible and delicious meat is all you want from your cooker, it’s wise to abandon your grilling mindset. If you get a reliable unit, you’ll never cook your food using the traditional cooking equipment again. Don’t just buy. Get to know the following:
It’s imperative to purchase a smoker that offers you a spacious cooking environment. If you need to cook only for yourself, then you may probably be fine with a smaller unit. However, if it’s your plan to cook for many people, then you really have to get a bigger unit that can hold all the food. It’s definitely safer to buy a high-capacity smoker with extra space than to try and cram all stuff into a tiny chamber.
Be certain to find a smoker from a reliable manufacturer. Don’t just go for any brand. Look for a product that guarantees great features such as good insulation, enhanced capacity and durability. The smoker should have proper temperature regulation mechanisms to make your cooking easy.
Average smokers are normally the best choice for the majority of chefs. However, don’t go for the cheapest model you find on the market. If you aren’t careful, you’ll have poor equipment that won’t produce the smoke required for your cooking, and the result will be poor-quality food. Luckily, most mid-range models can be bought for just $150, so get into the market and find the best product.
Quality is important when it comes to buying a reliable smoker, and quality is greatly influenced by the materials used. To be on the safer side, purchase a heavy smoker whose materials are thick and insulated. If you purchase one that is designed using very thin materials, you’re likely to have it rough during cooking: your unit will tend to warp and large amounts of heat will be lost.
- Easy Cleaning
Smoking your meat can result in juices and fat droplets splattering all over your cooking area. Therefore, it’s wise to buy a unit that is accessorized with a detachable rack, water plate and dripping pan. To make your cleaning easy and fun, ensure that your unit has all these important accessories.
Nowadays, most propane smokers have inbuilt thermometers but it’s vital that you understand the dynamics of setting the correct cooking temperature.
Propane smokers come with a dual remote thermometer. This remote will alert you when the meat is ready or requires attention. So, you won’t have to keep tweaking its dial to set the temperature to a high, medium or low level. All you’ll need is to have this remote and learn how it’s used. For example, they are digitally designed to send automatic signals requesting you to either open or close your smoker to achieve even cooking.
The best thing about propane smokers is the fact that they have enhanced cooking space. To be precise, they are usually designed with 3 racks to enable users to store lots of stuff. So, you’ll be able to smoke all sorts of meat at a time.
Ensure that you properly season and completely burn off any residue oil by dry-running it before you stack your food in the racks. You can then ensure that your smoker gives that sweet and aromatic flavor to your meat by following the following simple steps:
- Step 1 – Ensure that the water pan is filled with water, natural beer or acid. For easy cleaning, give it a foil lining.
- Step 2 – Check that your gas tank is connected to the smoker. Then open its valve. Open the door as you light up the burner, as per the instructions from the manufacturer. Caution: make sure that you turn the gas inlet off in case it refuses to light immediately. Allow some time for the gas to clear before attempting to light it again.
- Step 3 – Once you establish the flame, adjust the temperature to the recommended figure using the temperature controller. If your unit’s thermostat is calibrated, refer to the manual so that you are sure of what you are doing.
- Step 4 – Preheat your smoker for about 15 minutes to ensure that the temperature is steady. Also, remember to adjust the vents accordingly.
- Step 5 – Add your fine wood chippings (you can also use sawdust) to a tray that is above the unit’s burner. Ensure that you don’t stop preheating the unit until smoke is seen billowing from the chimney.
- Step 6 – Prepare the meat. You can then arrange it on the unit’s shelves or hook it inside the cooking chamber.
- Step 7 – Replenish your water, plus the wood as required. Monitor the gas so that it doesn’t go out or produce a dangerous flame.
- Step 8 – Check to see if your food is cooked to your liking. If so, remove it from the unit. Then disconnect the gas flow from the tank. You can then clean your smoker the moment it cools down.